On February 28th, there will be an amazing event going on at Touro Law School in Central Islip, New York. The event is titled “Understanding the Individualized Education Program: How School Teachers and Staff Can Help Parents Make the Best Choices for their Child.”
Who would benefit from attending this event or watching the live stream?
- Parents of children who are recently diagnosed with any disability;
- Undergraduate and Graduate students in areas such as law, speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, or special education;
- Professionals such as lawyers, speech therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, special education teachers, or school administrators;
- Anyone interested in learning more about IEP process.
What will we be discussing?
- Individuals with Disabilities Education law and information included in an Individualized Education Program;
- Tips for parents – before, during, and after IEP meetings;
- One factor that influences parents following through with IEP’s and getting treatment for their child – how they interpret their child’s diagnosis;
- Tips for professionals – ways to educate parents about their child’s disability. Ways to help professionals be culturally sensitive to the needs of parents when they interpret their cause of their child’s diagnosis and going through the IEP process.
Why should you attend this event or watch the live stream?
- Learn more about issues that are important to children and teenagers with disabilities and their families;
- Help parents become a stronger and more empowered advocate for their child;
- Understand the importance of education and cultural sensitivity when working with parents of children and teenagers with disabilities.
To join this event via livestream, click here. For more information about Touro Law’s Jewish Law Institute, please contact Samuel J. Levine, Professor of Law and Director of the Jewish Law Institute at Touro Law Center: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frances Victory, Ph.D., C.P.C., is a Developmental Psychologist, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Speaker, and Certified Life Coach at Victory Coaching LLC. For more information about her services, please check out her website: www.drvictorycoaching.