Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan is scoring points for grace with her witty comeback during confirmation hearings to South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham’s oddly non-sequitur question "Where were you last Christmas?"
To her credit, the solicitor general defused the situation by saying she was likely eating at a Chinese restaurant, to which Graham answered "Great answer."
She has also had to contend with questions that stress her Upper West Side origins and her admiration of an Israeli jurist.
Expect more fireworks.
The Continuum has exclusively obtained this list of questions she’ll face from Republican Judiciary committee members.
10. If confirmed, will you be taking off all those Jewish holidays like my accountant?
9. Where were you last Easter Sunday?
8. So, did you trick or treat as a kid?
7. Say America went to war with Israel. Which side would you be on?
6. How often do you talk to Steven Spielberg? How about Ben Bernanke?
5. Where were you last Feast of the Ascension?
4. Would you be interested in meeting my chiropractor, Dr. Silverman? He’s single, too.
3. Any good stock tips?
2. Hmm … Kagan. That’s a Russian name, isn’t it?
1. So, I guess this would be your first confirmation, right?