- This event has passed.
Congregation Chasam Sopher
August 7, 2018 , 8:00 am - 10:12 pm
The second oldest remaining synagogue building in New York, this handsome Romanesque Revival red brick structure was built in 1853 by Congregation Rodeph Sholom, a Reform congregation established in 1842. They occupied the building for almost 50 years, then moved to the Upper West Side where they are still located.
Congregation Chasam Sopher (Seal of the Scribe) was founded by Polish Jews who purchased the building. It was named for the highly respected German scribe and Talmudic scholar Moshe Schreiber, whose surname means scribe in Yiddish. Hank Sopher, a descendent of the Chasam Sopher, spearheaded the Congregation’s building campaign that resulted in a complete restoration from foundation to roof. The project took more than three years to complete and the building was rededicated in September 2006.
A portion of the proceeds from this tour are returned to the synagogue.
Tickets are $2 additional when purchased at the door